Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Glacier Research in the Alaska Range

Melt regimes, stratigraphy, flow dynamics and glaciochemistry of
three glaciers in the Alaska Range





Two seasons ago Kevin Volkening and I went to Alaska to climb for over a month, we visited the Ruth Gorge and the Kahiltna glacier on this trip. We climbed a number of routes and peaks and I finished the trip by helping Seth Campbell, Dominic Winski, and Kevin Volkening do glacial research. I was the official grunt worker (ie. dig holes, carry sleds, ski with radar equipment) but I learned practical knowledge of the dynamics of an active glacier. Seth Campbell (et al) submitted the final paper and got it published. The paper is a rigorous scientific publication so it may prove difficult to read through, if so just read the Abstract and the Conclusion. I'm glad I had the opportunity to help out with this study, interesting and important stuff as we become more aware of our climate.



The paper can be viewed HERE




Doing glacier research on the saddle of Hunter.


Seth doing research


Kevin doing research






Cheers, Loren

No comments:

Post a Comment