Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Ainger Lake








A climb with Nathan Cooper.

I cut back on the wording for this original post because it was to verbose for me. I had to include something about this haliarious day though.

1.) Nathan is not a climber. This climb "jump the gap" is 6 pitches of 5.10 climbing.
2.) We forgot to bring along 2 belay/rappel devices. I belayed with a munter hitch.
3.) Nathan had a baskeball sized rock fall directly on his head. He nearly blacked out, we tested the munter hitch belay.
4.) The runouts were real on this climb. Broken-leg country abounded. The tiny rack of draws and a half set of hexes were inadequate.
5.) We did a semi-blind, 60M, free hanging rappel off the formation. Nathan has never rappelled. We had only 1 belay device. I went first to make sure the ropes touched; I tied the belay device on the ends of the rope, Nathan brought the device up to him, and I coached him how to rappell, from 200' below.

it was a classic climbing trip with Nathan.
Cheers, Loren

2 comments:

  1. Montana classic, 5 stars. At least you had two helmets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Montana classic, 5 stars. At least you had two helmets.

    ReplyDelete